Organization: UN Office for Project Services
Closing date: 04 Oct 2015
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The Civil Engineer will be fully accountable to the Chief Engineer and will be responsible for the following:
- Carry out technical assessment of building projects, projects feasibility studies and designs briefs;
- Completed assessments reports, to include all inputs (support/response/clarification) from the Chief Engineer;
- Develop conceptual designs, specifications and standards;
- Prepare budget estimates based on the prevailing market rates survey and develop strategies for the projects component execution;
- Define the scope of works, develop and prepare designs and technical specifications for the selected projects component implementation of various infrastructure projects in the country;
- Liaise with the Procurement Unit to develop the relevant tender documents for procurement process (RFQs, ITBs and RFPs) including SoW, Designs, Engineering Estimates, Bills of Quantities;
- In close liaison with the Procurement Unit, conduct the tendering process in advertising, bid opening, evaluating tenders and award of contracts for the works, goods and services;
- Implement activities through direct labour (if required);
- Supervise the project implementation construction works for quality, progress, compliance with the regulatory approval conditions, and meeting the design specifications and standards, conduct regular assessments and evaluations of contractor performance and resources;
- Issue site instructions, assess and approve variation requests/time extensions from the contractors;
- Work with the Chief Engineer to establish works progress and performance measurements, and prepare progress certificates for contractor payments;
- Prepare periodic progress reports (internal and external), conduct periodic brief of status of all projects as required, make available all data (including photographs, discussion minutes) collected on each site in an order and manner that is easily comprehensible upon completion of the site assessments;
- Ensure that projects lessons learned and challenges are documented throughout the project stages and shared with Chief Engineer and Procurement Unit;
- Provide support/inputs/clarification to the Civil Engineer for the preparation of the final reports and hand-over reports;
- Update and maintain project documentation and filing system;
- Participate and provide technical input in recruitment of technical or any other staff as assigned;
Performs any other related duties as may be assigned.
How to apply: