Organization: Save the Children
Closing date: 26 Jul 2017
The role :
The Procurement Manager is responsible for setting up and managing the country procurement unit. He/She will be the lead in setting up strategic contracts, Framework Agreements for the Country Office.
He/She Is responsible to ensure that procurement unit under his management is working on an efficient and effective way ensuring best possible processing of international procurement for country offices and ensuring a timely review and validation of procurement processes done in country and keep a close contact with IPU/RPU for all international orders.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
The Procurement Manager will be responsible for the set up and management of the country procurement Unit.
Management of country procurement unit
- Conduct local market analyses to identify Market segment and potential suppliers
- Develop a contracting strategy to cover the market categories for identified program needs
- Supports to program staff in the set up and updates of procurement plans for each award and manage the country consolidated master procurement plan keeping it updated and producing procurement function action plan and supply plan.
- Develop procurement strategy in which decentralization versus centralization purchase benefits are evaluated, best contracting strategy is developed and set up, and develop procurement work-plan for the whole country.
- Put in place suppliers lists in link to different market segments, manage sub-contracting risks
- Set up ways of working, procedures, internal control system within the unit
- Manages Field offices expenditures beyond an established threshold ensuring the procurement unit is setting up contracts and FWAs serving internal client’s needs.
- Lead big volume or complex procurement processes on behalf of Field office.
- Ensure an internal review and validation mechanism is in place for procurement processes managed at field office level to strengthen compliance and reduce risks for the organization.
- Lead the roll out of the procurement manual in the country.
Management of the country Procurement
- Ensure staff working in the country procurement unit has right level of expertise, clear job description and work plan, and performance management.
- Ensure that capacity building in procurement technical expertise is developed for staff in the procurement unit and for people performing purchasing activities in the field offices.
- Ensure in country procurement tracker is regularly updated and Data are accurate.
- Ensure tracker of international procurement is updated regularly and data are accurate and precise
- Produce monthly summaries and monitoring the function with KPIs
- Run regular analysis over prices, over suppliers usage and performance, over adherence to procurement plans
- Encourage procurement team in field location to have regular meetings with programme to update Procurement plan.
Oversight and monitoring of the International Procurement function
- Act as contact person for all international procurement.
- Establish a professional relationship with the Regional Procurement Unit
- Monitor international order process at Regional Procurement Unit level and keep programme informed about any potential delays in deliveries.
- Help programme in improving the coordination concerning international procurement, from identification of the needs to their expression.
Providing procurement ad hoc support
- In coordination with Country Logistics Manager, provides support to field offices in complex procurement processes by supporting in the expression of the needs and in providing technical support on best way to handle procurement processes.
- Visit field office to provide support, coaching to procurement Team.
- Review procurement files and make sure that all procurement adhere to SCI procurement standard, provide feedback and recommendations for improvements in field offices.
- Induct new key staff on procurement processes and how to strengthen collaboration with internal clients.
- Organize trainings session on Procurement functionalities
- Organize trainings on major donors’ procurement requirements (ECHO, USAID etc.)
- Organize trainings on Procurement committee roles and responsibilities
- Organize trainings of suppliers on SCI Child safeguarding and anti- fraud policies.
- During field visit conduct refresher training on procurement best practices.
Management of Internal Control System within procurement function at RO level
- The procurement Unit will be responsible for running tenders and submit to Regional Procurement Unit the relevant documentation for review and validation.
- Ensure management of all procurement contracts in the CO, monitoring of specific contracts and FWAs.
- Support RO procurement counterparts in developing Regional FWAs covering Mali needs.
- Ensure roles and responsibilities of procurement committee members are known and people adhere to it.
- Review procurement waivers and ensure that they are compliant prior to submitting to the required person for approval.
- If needed as per Threshold send Waivers for regional validation
Qualifications and experience
- A Degree in Procurement or related area, Master’s degree an advantage.
- At least five years procurement management level experience in logistics in the NGO or corporate sector, within complex/large scale country programmes and in emergency response/humanitarian environments. Private sector experience will be evaluated, but a minimum experience in NGO sector is highly advisable.
- 3 years international experience is must.
- Experience in running complex and high volume procurement processes and in high volume (1M USD+) contracts negotiation
- Experience in procurement management in Mali market is an advantage
- Experience in managing both good and services categories in order to serve multi-sectorial projects ranging from Health, FLS with component of cash distributions, education, protection and nutrition.
- Experience working with large institutional donors and knowledge of their rules and regulations
- Ability to synthesize and analyse information, and make clear, informed decisions, to manage high volumes of data
- Ability to build relationships quickly with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Strong planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Experience in developing the capacity of Procurement staff through the use of training, performance management frameworks and development plans.
- Experience in development and implementation of efficient procurement systems, policies and procedures.
- Excellent written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Native or high level proficiency in French and mid level proficiency in English
- Cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- Knowledge of Western and Central Africa region is an advantage
- Excellent in office pack/SharePoint is advantage
- Willingness and ability to travel sometimes with short notice.
- Resilient to stress
- Sense of diplomacy and negotiation skills
- Experienced in managing teams is a must
- Able to prioritize and work with limited supervision , self-motivated, resilient to stress
Contract length: 06 months
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
How to apply:
Application Email: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: ‘Fsy.email@example.com’