Organization: International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc.
Closing date: 10 Jan 2018
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: Behavior Change/Health Communication Advisor
Reports To: Team Leader
Type: Short-term Consultant
USAID/Mali is considering issuing a completion type Task Order for a performance evaluation of two USAID/Mali funded programs: the High Impact Health Services (SSGI) and the Social Marketing and Behavior Change Communications (KJK). The evaluation will help determine what mid-course corrections are needed as well as inform the design of future projects.
The SSGI award supports the delivery of a package of integrated malaria, family planning, reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, nutrition, and water and sanitation services delivered at the regional, district, community and household levels. The KJK award covers capacity-building of local NGOs and Government of Mali (GoM) entities; social and behavior change (SBC) activities; and social marketing of family planning, HIV/AIDS prevention, safe drinking water and safe motherhood products sold at commercial retail outlets and community pharmacies. These two programs work in tandem through a joint work plan in five regions (Kayes, Sikasso, Koulikoro, Mopti and Bamako) and the district of Gao (in the North) and are the centerpiece of USAID/Mali’s $69 million per year health program. Mali nationals are encouraged to apply. This position is contingent upon award.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
· Serve as a member of the team with specific emphasis on behavior change and health communication.
· Assess and evaluate existing communications strategies, capacity and needs.
· Build capacities to deliver the communication strategy, based on the needs assessment.
· Design new communications programs and identify new channels of dissemination for research and evaluation findings.
· Strengthen existing outreach and communications tools.
· Develop and maintain relationships with partners and stakeholders at all levels
· Administrative duties in the communications function.
· Any other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Demonstrated experience working on health projects in Africa.
· Technical knowledge of the Malian context.
· Previous experience as a BCC Specialist. Experience on an evaluation of a USAID financed nutrition related project is a plus.
· Previous experience working on USAID financed projects is preferred.
· Mali national desirable.
· At least 8 years of progressive experience in behavior change communication and development of IEC materials, as well as the design and measurement of evidence-based behavior change interventions.
· At least 10 years of experience working in the development sector with a recognized and reputable international institution.
· At least 5 years of experience working in the health sector required.
· Strong analytical, managerial and writing skills in English and French required.
· Strong ability to interact effectively with a broad range of internal and external partners, including international organizations, host country government officials, and NGO counterparts required.
· Oral and written fluency in English and French required.
Education: Master’s degree in public health, social science, business administration or related field required.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment, with some time spent in the field.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel required.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.
How to apply:
Apply online here: