Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 12 Jul 2018
Position Title : Chief of Mission
Duty Station : Bamako, Mali
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 July 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
IOM is present in Mali since 1998. The Mission activities and presence increased in the country following the 2012 crisis that caused the displacement of over 550 000 individuals. 2012 also saw the increase of humanitarian and stabilization actors in the country. IOM and the Government of Mali maintain the internal displacement database, which informs humanitarian actors of internal Displaced People (IDPs) and returnees needs. IOM implements various activities aiming at providing direct assistance, reintegration, Income generation to IDPs and returnees. Communities are offered social cohesion, peace-building and stabilization activities.
Mali is an important transit country but also country of origin for migrants travelling to North Africa and Europe. It is also a country of destination for West Africa countries migrants working in traditional gold mining areas at the border between Mali and Guinea. IOM monitors migration flow in the country. Provides reintegration assistance to stranded migrants returning to Mali. Migrants on transit in Mali willing to return to their country of origin are also provided with transportation assistance. Sensitization on the risks of irregular migration and counter trafficking activities and other protection assistances are provided to migrants in need.
The North and Center of the country are generally insecure and characterized by armed groups and community conflicts and terrorist activities. The more than 7 000 Km long border line is porous. Border facilities are in poor conditions. IOM has been implementing Immigration and
Border Management (IBM) projects including training border officials, rehabilitation/construction and equipment of border posts and installation of border management program (MIDAS) interconnected with the police HQ. Activities on border management also include increasing cooperation between the border communities and border officials and between cross border officials. IOM activities finally include Disarmament Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) and reducing youth vulnerability to recruitment with violent extremist groups through the provision of livelihoods opportunities.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director for West and Central Africa, in close coordination with technical units at IOM Headquarters (HQs), the incumbent will be accountable and responsible for the oversight of IOM activities in Mali and overall management of the office.
S/he will be IOM’s interlocutor with the relevant ministries and local government authorities, United Nations Country Team (UNCT) Agencies, the Senior Management Team (SMT) and local and international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and private sector. The Chief of Mission will be responsible and accountable for developing and promoting IOM’s strategy and programming in Mali within the overall regional framework.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Development and follow up of strategies, policies and programmes
Resources Management and Capacity Building
Representation of IOM
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in diplomacy, fundraising and public relations, as well as in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities and international institutions;
• Excellent communications skills, both oral and written; ability to prepare and deliver speeches on various activities of the Organization;
• Proven liaison and negotiation skills;
• Demonstrated strategic and creative thinking;
• In-depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the
• Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming;
• Effective resource management skills, sound knowledge of financial and business administration and of the principles and practices of management; ability to motivate, supervise and coach/ direct staff;
• Work experience in C, D, and E duty stations; Knowledge and experience on regional migration issues as well as in crisis response;
• Good level of computer literacy.
Fluency in English and French is required. Working knowledge of Bambara and/or Malinke is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 12 July 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 29.06.2018 to 12.07.2018
Requisition: VN 2018/157 (P) – Chief of Mission (P4) – Bamako, Mali (55548284) Released
Posting: Posting NC55548285 (55548285) Released