Closing date: 25 Dec 2019
CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services
Overview of Position
There is a problem of weapons and explosive contamination in Mali, following historical and recent conflict. There is clear evidence of the presence of landmines, unexploded ordnance (UXO), improvised explosive devices (IED) and insecure stockpiles of weapons and ammunition (abandoned or neglected). There were more than 130 recorded victims of UXO since 2012.
The United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) was established under Security Council Resolution 2100 and the mandate further developed under resolution 2164. In accordance with these mandates, the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) has engaged UNOPS to implement a mine action programme in Mali.
The UNMAS-UNOPS mine action programme is seeking to:
• Reduce the explosive threat to AFISMA/MINUSMA and United Nations personnel;
• Enhance national capacity to mitigate explosive threats;
Improve the protection of civilians.
Under the overall guidance and supervision, the UNMAS Chief of Operations, The Ops/QA Officer will be responsible for the following:
• Oversee all aspects of mine action related activities carried out by staff under your supervision and control
• Implement and monitor technical, international and national safety standards
• Ensure close and effective interaction and coordination of the integral aspects of mine action, such as Mine Victim Support and Explosive Threat Risk Education
• When requested, act as the Investigating Officer for Detailed Independent Investigations or Boards of Inquiry for Mine/ERW Accidents or incidents
• Debrief mine action (MA) organizations and other implementing partners on quality assurance (QA) achievements and QA assessments and ensure that all QA assessment data is captured through the appropriate QA documentation and QA tracker
• Provide guidance on any specific corrective actions to be taken by organizations, following an inspection, which finds a critical non-conformity
• Ensure proper maintenance of documentation for all inspected land
• Ensure proper storage of explosives in accordance with national and international guidelines and ensure control and security of explosives that are used by implementing mine action organisations within the area of responsibility
• Develop and conduct training, and manage the quality of training on Landmine clearance, ERW clearance and IED Threat Mitigation as required
• Implement QA management systems and ensure that the systems are being applied in a fair and equitable manner, and that accreditation, licensing and monitoring does not interrupt or delay MA projects
• Conduct routine on-site QA of MA organization operations and as part of the accreditation process
• Stay abreast of the International Mine Action Standards (IMAS), International Ammunition Technical Guidelines (IATG’s) and United Nations Improvised Explosive Device Disposal Standards (UN IEDD Standards); ensure that MA Organization Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) are in line with international standards.
• As directed by the Regional Area Coordinator, coordinate, facilitate and prioritize all operational tasking for projects within the area of responsibility. Oversee and coordinate the implementation, execution and completion of all Explosive Threat Mitigation related operations for projects within the area of responsibility.
• Conduct quality control on all Explosive Threat Mitigation training and mentorship carried out by contracted trainers and mentors to the benefit of project personnel, civilian and military
• Support the collection of data and the management of information
• Provide advice and input into the development of strategic and procedural documents related to EOD/IEDD matters in support to project
• Support programmatic, project and operation planning and activities through the provision of IED analysis.
• As directed by the Regional Area Coordinator, coordinate efforts in the area of capacity building relations in mine action and against the risks posed by explosive threats (EOD and IED) in accordance with the approved project work plan.
• Comprehensive general operational management of the Regional UNMAS office in absence of the Regional Area Coordinator.
• Other tasks as directed by the Programme Manager and Chief of Operations.
•Weekly report detailing all activities conducted that week.
• Weekly report detailing future activities.
• QA Reports and tracking report
• Mission reports as required.
Strategic perspective: Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
• Integrity and inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
• Leading Self and Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
• Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
• Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
• Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements.
Reflects on experiences and modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
• Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem solving.
• Effective communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Driving Licence internationally recognized
- Physically fit and healthy
How to apply:
Interested candidates may apply on the following link: